Wednesday, February 8, 2006

G's chicken tale....

We had a little "incident" with one of the chickens today and G. wrote about it in her journal.

"Mommy, you should tell this story on your blog," she told me when she was finished.

She's 9 and she's ready for a blog of her own.

    "I went outside with a broom to get the chickens off the porch today. All of the chickens got out except for one. That one got behind the grill on the porch and then before I could get to her, she went between two poles and got herself really stuck. It took a while for me to get her out. I had to push her wings together because she had spread them out. But one wing wouldn't get unstuck and it was tricky to help her. She kept moving away from me. But she was so fat that it hurt her a little to get unstuck. I got her out and I hugged her and I told her she was a good chicken. Then I let her go down the steps and then I shut the porch gate. The chickens always poop on the porch that's why we never feed them food there. Mom always tells us to shut the gate but we forget sometimes. "
Yup, she really did go out on the porch with a straw broom to shoo the chickens away.

The hen was one of the supersize producers. She really is big.

If you're unfamiliar with chicken poop, it's nearly impossible to clean off wood surfaces.

Yes it's possible to hug and snuggle with a chicken - the kids do it all the time. They even claim they smile sometimes.

There is entertainment value in watching a chicken go up and down steps.

And I did appreciate the confirmation that she's aware that I ask her and her sister to close the porch gate. I just assumed I was wasting oxygen with that request.

No comments: