Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Another mountain adventure

It was a last minute decision but we opted to go snow boarding/skiing last night. The conditions looked decent and Shawnee Peak had their Monday night special going for $10 lift tickets from 4- 9 p.m.

So we packed up our gear - and dinner - and took off.

We didn't have any candy in the house for the kids' coat pockets and I thought we ought to get something before we got to the mountain. It's been my experience that a bit of sugar keeps my little people happy on the slopes. So I decided to stop at Reny's in Bridgton on our way.

Now I have to admit, I never did understand what the big deal was about Reny's. Well, now I know...

L. picked out Swedish fish and G. went for the Sugarbabies. We did a little taste-testing before the packages made it into their coat pockets and I was in shock. They were soft, chewy and get this, FRESH. They didn't actually try to pull my teeth out and I can't remember the last time that happened. Reny's is now on my list of places to stop on our next trip.

We made a couple of runs and stuck to the easy trails. We're not a particularly adventurous lot with the higher terrain. And as I have learned by observation in the past couple of years, the beginner lifts are a lot less crowded.

It was actually a pretty uneventful trip. No blisters on my hands (I tightened my boot laces with gloves on... very good suggestion Fino), no lost skis on the chair lift and no Christmas tree imprints on anyone's leg. All-in-all not much drama.

But the conversations on the chair lift, now those were amusing.

Prompted by taking a couple of photos of some Flat Stanleys on the chair lift, we discussed some of the funny pictures we've taken of flats over the past year. The pigs still rank at the top of my list.

On another ride, L. was whining about the rest of us going too fast down the mountain. Usually she's the one bombing down but yesterday she was a little tired. I think she was just in the mood for some extra attention but I couldn't shake her off the subject. So I told her she was being like Shaggy from Scooby Doo. She didn't care for that much but it got G. going on assigning our family members to people from that movie. G. decided she was Daphne, Fino was Fred and then she declared that Toddy (the blind cat) was Scooby. Apparently Toddy and Scooby are just the same.

"Mommy, they both like to eat all the time!"

Poor Toddy, he wasn't even on the chairlift to defend himself. Although give the chance, the girls would have him up there with them.

But a question I never pondered until L. did was,

"Why is Scooby so skinny if he eats all the time?"

Wish I knew...

Oh, and on the way home, L. thought the funniest thing about our night was "Foo City." Just an FYI to the supermarket in Bridgton, your D needs a new bulb.

No comments: