Tuesday, February 7, 2006

Feeding chickens, not so fun

Yesterday while I was working in the office, my husband called.

"We're out of chicken feed. Can you stop and buy some on your way home from work?"

Aaargh! I really dislike these phone calls....

"But those bags are really heavy for me. How come you didn't buy it over the weekend?"

"Because we were busy."

The kids had 3 shows of the theater production they were in this past weekend. Then there was the 4-H Demonstration event they went to. OK, yeah, we were busy.

Big sigh...


"Alright, I'll go get a bag of chicken feed. But next time you have to do it. I HATE those 50 pound bags!"

OK I know, I'm complaining.... but geeze, those bags really are a drag!




And it's a good thing the kids didn't have the camera yesterday to take a photo of me carrying that bag to the coop. I would have had to delete it.

Plus, lifting and dumping the feed into the feed box isn't fun either. The top cover is just above my waist and it's mighty tricky to balance an open, 50 pound bag of feed on your hip and aim for the narrow opening....

My only saving grace yesterday was the fact that I didn't have to walk on any snow or ice to get to the coop. I guess that's one good think about the lack of snow this winter -- although I'd much rather be snow boarding than hauling chicken feed into the coop.




But the chickens were happy when their chow arrived.




And I have to say our happy chickens have been pumping out not only supersize eggs, but double yoke ones. We've had a bunch of these in the past few weeks.

No comments: