Monday, May 17, 2010

Cake decorating with kid-friendly fondant

My girls had been eagerly anticipating their general 4H club meeting last week. The topic was cake decorating and the kids were thrilled with the announcement once they arrived that they would be learning how to make a simple marshmallow fondant.

My kids like to decorate cakes and cupcakes but I can't say they're super good at it. I thought it was a faulty gene I'd passed on. I loved the activity but wasn't so great at it myself as a kid (or an adult). To offer a glimpse in to the fact that I'm not exaggerating when I say I'm not very good at the cake decorating thing, I offer some old pictures from my dad's photo albums.

You see, every Sunday when I went to my dad's house in 4th and 5th grade, I told him I had to make a cake and decorate it. My cakes from those days were a disaster but they tasted OK so my dad was always game let me have a go at it when I asked.



This cake was from the early microwave days and was cooked (unevenly) in that new kitchen appliance. I also realize that in those days (late 70s) there wasn't much on the market for kid-friendly cake decorating supplies like there is today.

I never did take a formal cake decorating class as a kid (even though clearly I needed one!), nor as an adult. But it's been on my "to do" list for longer than I can remember. These days my girls are very interested in taking one, hence their excitement over this particular 4H meeting topic.

In addition to the fondant, there were many other decorating supplies on-hand and all the kids were in confection glee for a couple of hours (and then a sugar highs for the rest of the night).

The fondant was super easy to make and I thought I'd share it for those moms brave enough to give up a clean kitchen for an afternoon to let their kids create their own decorated cakes/cupcakes.

Marshmallow Fondant Icing Recipe
16 ounces white mini-marshmallow
2 to 5 tablespoons water
2 pounds icing sugar
1/2 cup Crisco shortening (you will be digging into it so place in a very easily accessed bowl)
 Melt marshmallows and 2 tablespoons of water in a microwave. Put the bowl in the microwave for 30 seconds, open microwave and stir, back in microwave for 30 seconds more, open microwave and stir again, and continue doing this until melted. It usually takes about 2 1/2 minutes total. Place 3/4 of the powdered sugar on the top of the melted marshmallow mix. Now grease your hands GENEROUSLY (palms, backs, and in between fingers), then heavily grease the counter you will be using and dump the bowl of marshmallow/sugar mixture in the middle. Start kneading like you would bread dough. Keep kneading, this stuff is sticky at this stage! Add the rest of the powdered sugar and knead some more. Re-grease your hands and counter when the fondant starts sticking. If the mix is tearing easily, it is too dry, so add water (about 1/2 tablespoon at a time and then knead it in). Then add food coloring.

For a complete step-by-step on how to make this fondant, pictures and all, go to whatscookingamerica.net

It's the food coloring that you'll want to keep a close eye on if make this recipe with your kids. All the 4H members left with stained hands. If you know anything about food coloring you'll know it takes more than a few washings to see regular skin tone again.

As you can see from these photos, fondant offers all kinds of decorating possibilities for kids. It also helps when you have a bit of talent for it to like the kids in this 4H club. There were some spectacular cupcake designs by the end of this two hour meeting.

And it turns out my own girls have the decorating flare when they have some helpful instruction, and some great supplies to work with.




Their friends were really good at decorating as well.




Oh and the cupcakes and fondant were not only pretty, they were VERY tasty too!!

No comments: