Thursday, May 7, 2009

Pushy pigs, sore behinds and pig kisses

Oh the pigs. They are doing well and we're all adjusting to life raising livestock. It really is a whole different ball of wax compared to raising poultry (which we've been doing for nearly six years).

Since our pigs, like most, are always angling for a break-out from confined spaces (i.e., their shelter and/or pen), we opted to invest in an electric fence. The trick about the electric fence is actually getting it wired and working and I'm happy to say that this job is finally done.

It was not however, without it's own bit of drama.

Installing the electric fence was my job as Fino and L. built the pig shelter and put up the main fencing to make the pen. I set up the electric fence posts and additional insulators and strung the wire. I did this all on my own without incident and was quite proud of myself (i.e., this was not a difficult task and I did it quickly). I ran in to trouble however installing the fence's electrical box.

Fino had the idea (I'm not letting him off the hook because this was his ill-fated idea) that I should install the box INSIDE the pig shelter. This required that I squat down inside the shelter (which is only about 4 feet high) and use an electric drill (something I'm clumsy with at the best of times) to screw the box into the wall.

I had trouble getting the screws in to the wall at first but then realized that Fino gave me the drill set in reverse (drill out) mode.

Once I got the drill going in the right direction, the pigs got curious about what I was doing and made their way over to my corner of the shelter.

If you've never spent any time with pigs you might not know that their snouts are strong and they use them like an arm to dig, push, etc. And they really can push things around with them, quite forcefully sometimes as L. has discovered after cleaning up the mess they make tipping over their large water bowl every day (and the addition of a couple of bricks in the bowl does not deter them - they are ALWAYS successful in flipping their bowl over).

So as I struggled with getting the screws into the wall, I also had to deal with the pigs pushing and trying to knock me off-balance. Just when I was getting a handle on stabilizing myself, the pigs decided to take things to the next level.

Now I know my butt is a bit large but really piggies, did you need to take a bite out of it?

Let's just say I was not all that quiet about letting that piggie know I was none too happy with that turn of events.

After rubbing the sore spot on my derriere, I tried to get back to my installation attempt but after another bite (no skin broken either time so not too serious), I decided I needed a change of plan.

Fino agreed to take over the job (maybe my yelling had something to do with this?) and opted to install the box on the OUTSIDE of the shelter, which also required a cover that he had to make as well.

The timing of Fino's brainstorm was not to my liking but the electric fence did eventually get installed and is now working properly so I can't really complain too much can I?

There is no video to share of this incident (thanks to my family for not thinking fast enough - see, I do recognize there is a silver-lining to every story) but we do have some new pictures and video of the pigs frolicking and digging in their pen.



The holes they've dug (aka "rooting" in pig-talk) around their pen in the short time they've been out each day makes me think they'll be in China by summer. I don't think dogs, in my limited experience, have got anything on pigs when it comes to digging.

I must admit though that the pigs are fun to watch. L.'s convinced that Pulchra is part cat. She weaves in and around L.'s legs when L.'s giving her a back scratch. Based on the video I took yesterday, I have to agree even if Pulchra is not as smooth moving as a feline.



Oh, and when I say, "we're all adjusting to life raising livestock" I'm referring to my new learning about not going out to help L. in the pig pen when I've got to run out the door right afterward. Yesterday I made a post on Twitter about my "pig-kissed pants."


I didn't notice the muddy snout impressions on my jeans until I was on the road to my class last night. Now I will make sure to help L. in my knee-high wellies and/or make sure I have time to change before I leave the house. Or maybe I'll just wear the dirty jeans. They do make for interesting conversation with my non-farming type friends.

No comments: