Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Exciting sightings at Audubon Center

Last weekend the kids' 4-H club took a trip to Gilsland Farm to do a tree identification project and the group saw a whole lot more than just trees while we were there.

We spotted a fox with his freshly caught lunch making his way through the open field not far from the trail.


A young red tail hawk. G. confirmed the identity with one of the naturalists at the center who said it was a young bird and that's why the red markings weren't on its tail yet.


A butterfly let us get really close to snap this photo with my phone camera that does not have a zoom option.


One sighting I didn't get a picture of was the red ants as I didn't think our group would appreciate that too much. I opted for a text version of the 'sighting' on my Twitter account.
Twitter: Ran in to red ant area. They're crawling up our legs. Not the fun sort of sighting as the birds, fox have been. Flicking ants off now.

And the wingspan of birds game never gets old. Now I've got osprey and cormorant chicks.


I remember the days when G. was barely a cormorant. My babies have grown so much.

Taken in 2004 at Scarborough Marsh's Audubon Center when G., who has always been tall for her age, was 8 years old.

So you might think Audubon Centers are for the birds but there's oh so much more.


I'm trying to catch up on Kid Tracks posts after some pressing print deadlines, being a bit under-the-weather and taking the girls to a youth conference recently. I'll be getting back on the blogging wagon this week.

No comments: