Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Kid Tracks Column: Wells Reserve

When life is calling for a break from the regular routine because the sun is shining, my family would like to make a destination suggestion - Wells Reserve at Laudholm Farm. A recent trip to the reserve reminded us that hiking these easy trails is a great way to spend a spring afternoon - and a picnic on the beach is an extra nice bonus.

My family has been to Wells Reserve previously and the boardwalk on the Laird-Norton Trail never fails to be the trail of choice for the girls. There's just something about hearing the sounds of their feet on a wooden boardwalk that really appeals to them. And I admit I like this trail in early spring when the planks offers a respite from the muddy mess we usually encounter while hiking at this time of year.

There are several informational kiosks about plant and animal life on this well-marked trail system, as well as benches to stop and rest on when you have little ones in tow. But our destination while hiking here is always the beach, so a blanket and snacks for a picnic are a must.

It might have been 50 degrees on the day we visited (which feels balmy after a long, cold winter but is hardly swimming weather), but that did not stop my 11-year-old from peeling off her footwear, rolling up her jeans and running at top speed toward the ocean once she spotted it at the end of the trail. She seemed certain the waves were calling her name. To ensure my enthusiastic child did not decide to actually dive into the freezing water, I joined her in some wave jumping.

My days of tolerating frigid water for more than a few minutes are long gone, but my 11-year-old was in her glory playing in the waves. Although, after a half-hour even she had to call it quits because her toes had run the gamut of hues in red and purple. Her remedy for cold feet was to dig them into the warm sand. I followed suit and have to admit it proved was an effective way to warm my frozen toes.

In packing for this hike, I also included two bottles of bubbles because even though my girls are 11 and 12 years old, this is an ageless source of fun on the beach for us.

My 11-year-old, ever the creative thinker, thought using the wind as a guide to blow her bubbles directly at my face would be the most hilarious activity. She assessed the angle of the wind with the bubble wand and took aim. When the bubbles missed their mark she adjusted and sent more flying in my direction again. Her older sister joined in and between the two of them, they managed to hit their target a fair amount of times.

So on the chance you think your middle-schoolers are too old for bubbles, let me assure you that they probably are not.

Another aspect of this trail system that you don't want to miss (if you have any energy left after your hike and picnic at the beach) is the visitor center. It's located in the main farmhouse by the trail head and has educational exhibits that feature local ecology and geology information. My kids like pressing the buttons and peeking behind the little knob windows to learn more about the history, plants and wildlife of the area.

I may have felt a twinge of guilt for canceling our usual obligations to go hiking at the reserve, but I cannot think of a better way to celebrate spring than an outdoor adventure that includes a visit to the beach. It reminded me – and the kids – that the less scheduled days of summer are right around the corner.

11-year-old review
"I like hiking here because we get to walk on the wooden boardwalk. I also like running in the ocean water even though it is really cold in the spring. Even when my feet turn red I can warm them up quick in the dry sand. I made sand sneakers for fun. I liked blowing bubbles at my mom and trying to hit her with them, too."

12-year-old review
"This is a nice, peaceful hike in the spring and you can hear lots of birds. I also like blowing bubbles by the ocean. The bubbles blew themselves because the wind blew them for me when we went this time."


Wells Reserve at Laudholm Farm at EveryTrail














Originally published in Raising Maine Magazine, May 2009

No comments: