Friday, January 29, 2010

Nostalgic for silly years, glad I have videos

My girls have been making their own videos since they were little (6 and 7 years old) with my old camcorder. Then I bought a digital camera that could record video with sound (the first camera had video option but not sound) and that prompted us to create an account on YouTube in 2006. They have been sharing their movie creations ever since.

G. and I were going through our family YouTube channel together the other day and had a grand ole time laughing about some of her and her sister's earlier years antics.

I decided to share a few of these little gems to offer a chuckle to those who can relate to the various inspirations that happen when kids are given the opportunity, and the technology, to be their silly selves.

"Saving Toddy" is one of my all-time personal favorites. Toddy is our blind cat and the unwilling star of this movie. The girls are a bit embarrassed with this video right now because they're 12 and 13, but were pleased at punch with themselves when it was made (they were 8 and 9 at the time). The last bit when G. turns the camera on herself cracks me up, as well as L.'s karate moves as the "burglar."

Saving Toddy


Prince Toddy (his role is a little less active in this one)



Barbie Rani takes over Christmas Tree (the cats weren't the only ones who have caused Christmas tree problems at the Almeida homestead)



The video the girls made of their Barbie dog Tanner has the strangest history. Until recently I had never been able to figure out why it's such a popular video on our YouTube channel (6,370 views to date). Yes it's silly, but it's not that great. But looking at the expanded stats "audience" option on our channel, I discovered, "This video is most popular with: Males 13-17." I get it now.

Barbie with her dog Tanner


I wasn't home when the gem below was made otherwise I would have suggested they knock around dolls that didn't cost over $100 a piece.

Indoor bowling/golf with dolls


But the movie below was written purposefully and although I recorded the video, I was 'directed' the entire time to ensure I was getting the "right" footage needed so they could edit it in to a "real movie." (Both kids know their way around Windows MovieMaker to edit their videos.)

It stars an orphan who escapes her orphanage, an evil chicken king (yes, a live one from our coop), a princess and her cat king, a magical (sword-like) fork to protect the orphan and a magical leaf that saves the day. It's a 6-minute video so a bit overly long for general viewing but the bloopers they included at the end are amusing, and include a panic attack when one actor noticed a tick crawling on her co-star during a scene and both started screaming as well as L. forgetting her character's name. It's definitely one of those, "only a mother could love" kind of videos but I do cherish those years when the girls felt free to be silly (it was made in early 2007).

Quest for the Magical Leaf


I admit that I miss the girls' earlier years but there are so many more opportunities for fun now that they are older that I've moved on, as they have. But I still get nostalgic every once in a while and I'm glad I have these few gems to remind me what life was like before my babies really started growing up.

No comments: