Sunday, January 3, 2010

How to make water bottle warmers

I made fleece bottle warmers before our visit to Fort Kent a few years back in hopes of ensuring our water supply didn't freeze in our backpacks during our cross country skiing adventures up north. But these warmers don't fit the new water bottles the family received for Christmas this year. The new stainless steel bottles are taller and thinner than their old counterparts.

[ And I have to offer a side note that these stainless steel water bottles are nice but very, very cold to the touch at this time of year, even when filled with warm water. I had the feeling, in my very brief experience with my bottle on the trail yesterday, that my fingers would freeze to the bottle like a tongue to a steel pole. The decision was cinched then that I had to make a covering for it. And yes, we all could have used our old plastic bottles but when kids (and mom) get a new gift, we have to use it that very moment. ]

I made a simple pattern for the covering of our new metal water bottles. The main part of the pattern is a rectangle 9 1/2" tall and 5" wide (the 5" width is based on placing the pattern on the fold for a total of 10" wide). The circle for the bottom of the covering is 3 3/4" diameter (a straight line from side to side).


I first sewed a seam on the rectangle to make a tube. I then pinned the circle at one end of the tube before sewing that seam. I find sewing circles to be a challenge without the assistance of some strategically placed pins to keep things in place while on the machine.

The circular bottoms ensure the bottles can stand upright without tipping over with the addition of the thickness created by the fabric covering.

Once this part was done, I folded over the top of the tube to make a pocket for the elastic. I then fed an elastic through the top with a safety pin, sewed the ends and closed up the seam.


I made a couple of different types of bottle warmers for the kids based on their specific requests. L.'s request for a pig-themed warmer required double-duty with a fleece layer covered by the cotton pig material I gave her for Christmas.


The kids like the customized coverings and now I feel not one bit of guilt for buying the inexpensive solid color bottles instead of the fancier designs I saw (and cost about $10 more than the ones I purchased). No need for designs on the metal when we can just make a customized fabric covering instead.

Oh, and I have to share a tip for avoiding frozen water in your water bottles (even when covered/insulated and filled with warm water) on a day-long winter outdoor adventure from my friend Carl:
    "Pack the bottles upside down. If they start to freeze, the ice will form at the bottom of the bottle. You will still be able to pour the water out then."
This bit of advice has been key to keeping our water drinkable on our cross country skiing adventures the past few years.

No comments: