Saturday, March 14, 2009

Sewing projects shown off at Fashion Revue

The 4-Hers got a chance to strut their stuff and show off their sewing skills on the 4-H Fashion Revue runway today at USM.

Both girls and boys modeled their handmade items in front of a large audience (Fashion Revue is part of an all day, conference-type program of workshops for 4-Hers in Cumberland County).

The sewing projects were an eclectic mix (as always) that included a pillow case, Webelos vest, dog bed, messenger bags, fleece hat with scarf, a coat and a couple of dresses (one dress machine stitched, the other completely hand-sewn).

ALL the kids did some amazing work this year, with an attention to detail that made these projects extra special.

I reminisced about our beginning sewing days recently but my girls' smiling faces on the runway assured me that it was time well spent this winter helping them practice the skills needed to complete their challenging projects. We have more than a couple of swatches of practice button holes and mini zipper pieces in our craft room (formerly known as the playroom when the girls were younger) to attest to the learning curve. And the truth is, L. can make button holes and G. can put in a zipper better than I can now.

And what was I doing while the girls were on the runway enjoying their moment in the spotlight? Tearing up behind the lens of my camera like I do every year.

The less embarrassing thing about that this year was that I noticed I wasn't the only mom with a child on the stage doing that.






No comments: