Friday, February 20, 2009

The randomness of Twitter - and the Wendys

This afternoon a post was made on Twitter by StupidPointless with a #wendy tag on it (which I noticed because of an email notification that this member started following me on that site).

I have seen the # (aka hashtag) on other Twitter posts but I'm still a novice in the Twitter world and haven't quite figured everything out yet.

Well, it turns out that the hashtag is a way to key word Tweets and find others talking about the same topic.
The most widely used hashtag (or so it appears) is for the #followfriday when people on Twitter recommend other peeps to follow. This blogger explains it.

But StupidPointless was the first one I saw using the hashtag for the name Wendy (which appears to be totally random but originated with wendywings) and well, it somehow got me connected with a bunch of other women named Wendy on Twitter from all over the world (and it appears in another random commonality that most of us have cats).

Now in addition to working with a fellow Wendy (which has required the use of my initials in work emails and everyone referring to me as "Wendy A" at the office) as well as calling myself Wendy A. with one of the girls' 4-H club because there's a Wendy G. leader there, I now have a whole host of new Wendy friends.

So in the spirit of solidarity, the Twittering Wendys declared today (unofficially) WENDY day on Twitter.
(And StupidPointless should be proud to have lived up to the screen name with an enjoyable afternoon of randomness - with full credit to wendywings for getting it all started.)

You can check out the #wendy thread on Twitter to see this strange development firsthand.
And hey, maybe tomorrow you can declare your own namesake day on Twitter!

No comments: