Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Right between the eyes and a call for ideas

Yesterday afternoon I was driving our minivan with the windows rolled down and chatting with the kids about what a beautiful day it was. Then all of the sudden I was hit with something large and furry (yeah, I felt it) right between the eyes. Needless to say, it sacred the beejeezus out of me -- and when that happens, I scream. I simply can't help my natural reaction. I know, I'm such a female.

The kids started screaming after my initial distress because they saw what had hit me - a very large round flying insect. It was stunned for a minute on the floor of the van but then went airborn again trying to get back outside.

The girls were convinced it was some sort of bee out to get them and both started crying in ernest (being swarmed last fall is something neither of my girls have gotten over).

Meanwhile I tried to pull over to the side of the road so I could focus on getting the bug -- whatever it was -- out of the van while telling the girls to calm down. The thing flew out before I completely stopped and the girls immediately started yelling at me to shut all the windows.

It took about 5 minutes for them to get a grip on themselves and then L. asked in a teary voice, "Why did God make bees mommy?"

I explained about the whole flower and plant pollination thing but she wasn't convinced bees should really exist. Then she had an idea that we should move to a place that always has snow to avoid the issue.

So I have a query for all of you. How do I help my kids get over their immediate panic at flying insects? I've taken the reflective listening approach since it happened but with the onset of spring and start of bug season, I'm open to ideas ...

No comments: