Saturday, May 19, 2007

Plugged in kids

It's been a busy week of nothing special, just keeping up with all our various activities. The kids downloaded some video of the ducks that they insist I share here once they edit it. We'll see how that turns out when I get home from the office later. G. just emailed me to tell me she was 'working' on the computer right now.

Actually, it's pretty funny to exchange emails with the girls while I'm at work. I started an email account for them a couple of months ago and both girls love it (they are 9 1/2 and 11 years old now). Of course I monitor what they're doing (I love Google mail's tools and the fact that multiple users can be logged on an account at the same time without a glitch) and send them emails periodically.

I often send them links to kid-friendly websites because:

    a) They are disappointed if they don't have at least one new message each day b) If I don't suggest a new website to explore, they will play on Webkinz.com for hours and hours (not that the site's not good, it is, but I think a little variety once in a while is a good thing) c) They always email me back to tell me about it and I like that

I mentioned last week that L. had emailed me about getting scratched by the new ducks.

Today, G. emailed me about a website link (Math Cats) I sent her that can tell you exactly how old you are (from the months down to the seconds).

    Dear mom we were on math cats. but i will tell you how old we were at home ok. math cat was cool. love g

And then there are the emails that L sends to her friends that she usually shares with me too. She tends to write more but usually forgets the punctuation. But hey, she spelled Amethyst correctly and she knows a lot about ducks so I won't worry about her too much.

    we got two new duckings we don't know if they are boy or girl i think my sisters is a girl and mine is a boy but i gave it a girl name instead it is Gracie my sisters duck name is Amethyst do you know how to tell a girl and a boy duck apart? by there quacks i cant tell if mine is a girl i don't know which quack is a boy or girl  to tell if  the ducks are boy or girl (And no, we still aren't completely sure about the ducks' genders yet.)
But there has also been a fair amount of these type of emails from the girls recently.
    Hi mom when you come home can I put a video on youtube?
Nope, they don't miss an opportunity to work things to their advantage; they figure out stuff pretty darn quick.

No comments: