Monday, July 12, 2010

Sheep showing, easier said than done

The parents of 4H sheep showing kids at Ossipee Fair had a turn in the ring for a "showmanship" show. Showmanship is judged on the person's ability to show their animal in the best light possible. It's all in good fun that the adults are given a chance to do this as the kids get their kicks from watching their parents handle (or mishandle) their animals in the show ring.


It really is much easier to explain than it is to actually do.

I realized quickly I was the only parent with absolutely no livestock showing experience. I bumbled my way through the show with L.'s sheep Minnie and was a klutz with just about every aspect of it.

L. caught some video of me in the show ring. I'm not all that surprised she hit the video option (I asked for a picture only) as I saw she had a big grin on her face the whole time.

I borrowed Minnie for the show since I've at least walked her around the yard at home a few times.

Trying to set up Minnie was hard while there were other animals around me. I realized how hard it is to get the lamb's legs in the right place and still look at the judge at the same time.

My stellar (not) attempt at showing sheep


But I do think my less than competent showing made her feel more relaxed during her own show the next day so deemed this experience worth a little public humiliation.


L's 4H showmanship show

No comments: