Friday, July 9, 2010

G has a nemesis at Ossipee Fair

Yesterday when I went to the 4H exhibit hall at Ossipee Fair to see the girls' ribbons on their projects I noticed the bar of oatmeal cinnamon soap G. submitted was missing. I mentioned to the hall monitor that it appeared her bar of soap was stolen.

Before the hall attendant responded to my statement, she asked me if I noticed anything strange about the crust on G's pumpkin pie submission. Yes! The edge of the crust halfway around the pie was all gone.

Nibbled it looked like...

The culprits?

Chipmunks!

Apparently the exhibit hall volunteers spent hours getting this exhibit hall ready for the fair - much longer than usual - because a bunch of industrious chipmunks had built a very large nest at the peak of the building. There was a mess all over the floor of paper and pine cones under the nest. It required a power washer, shovels, several volunteers and three hours to clean it up.

But the displaced chipmunks must be building a nest somewhere else and decided a nice bar of pig fat lye soap scented with oatmeal and cinnamon was just what they needed to spruce their place up... and a little pie crust snack to round out the visit to their old home site.

L. decided she didn't want her three bars of soap to meet the same fate so the hall monitor suggested she take them home.

And here I thought I'd leave the fairgrounds yesterday with a funny story from the sheep barn while L. was getting her lambs ready for a show...

Silly me, there can be animal 'action' in the exhibit hall too.

No comments: