Wednesday, December 30, 2009

My husband's gift buying, and an apology

My husband was in charge of purchasing gifts for his nephews (9- and 11-years old) who are really interested in "army stuff" according to their mom. A trip to the army surplus store is always a treat for Fino (he's a former army guy) and was pleased to show me the purchases he made on Christmas Eve.

This is the conversation that ensued.

"What did you get?"

"Some patches and some other cool stuff."

I pulled out two "Fire Starter" kits, complete with directions on the back on how to start a fire.

"Honey, do you think it was a good idea to buy the boys these fire starter kits?"

"Yeah, why not? This is cool stuff!"

"I'm not sure your sister is going to appreciate you giving her boys this part of the gift."

(He had also purchased a couple of mini-can openers and some army patches.)

"But it's cool stuff! I always wanted this kind of thing when I was their age."

"Did you have one when you were 9, or when you were 11?"

"No, but I wanted one."

"There was probably a reason why your mom didn't get you one ... " (meaningful pause here)

"Well if the boys start causing trouble with it, Margaret can just take it away from them."

Of course this is what every mother wants. To be put in the position of taking away the really "cool" gift from the former-army guy uncle who lives 3,000 miles away. Then, deal with the aftermath of a couple of upset boys who were simply trying to use the gift given to them.

So I have to offer a shout-out to my sister-in-law. Really Margaret, I did try to talk him out of sending those fire starters!

No comments: