Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Percy Jackson & the Olympians: book to movie

I took the kids to see Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince movie the other day and saw a trailer for "The Lightening Thief," the first book in the Percy Jackson & the Olympians series by Rick Riordan. The kids have enjoyed reading this book series (and listening - the audio version is well done). After seeing the movie trailer the kids said that they hoped the movie is as good as the books.

After watching the Half Blood Prince my kids are skeptical though about Percy Jackson's turn on the big screen because there was so much left out (and in some cases changed) to the Harry Potter movie. But my kids were inspired to re-read the HP6 book. Although I too was disappointed in the movie, I am happy that Hollywood let the kids down and that they are turning back to the books to find the "real story" (their words).

But even with skepticism, my crew is still looking forward to seeing their favorite Percy Jackson & the Olympians characters come to life even if they have to wait until Feb. 2010. I am sure they'll re-read the books in anticipation of the movie and that's not a bad thing either.

Here's the movie trailer we saw in the theater.

No comments: