Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Chickens, dogs, neighbors *could* get along

This morning I had to linger at home before heading in to the office because we had another incident with the neighbor's dog and Fino and I felt it was time - yet again - to call Animal Control.

This has been an ongoing issue for many years (early on we didn't know whose dog it was) and each time an incident happens I get more angry.

Not at the dog.

This dog is just being a dog. She's never been properly trained to heel on command and the prospect of chasing birds around is simply too tempting to her nature.

Who I am angry and frustrated with is the dog's owner.

(BTW, nearly every one of the 20+ houses in my neighborhood has a dog but only this dog is consistently running in our yard and attacking our poultry).

I really don't understand why it's so hard for him to put a collar and leash on his dog.

And I want to know why this guy makes such poor decisions about controlling his dog that it forces me to be the bad guy?

I don't like it. Not one bit.

I may not have called Animal Control this morning (I usually err on the side of not reporting if the dog trots back home and goes right into her house) if another neighbor (and responsible dog owner that the girls' adore) hadn't told me that last week she witnessed this other neighbor's dog biting one of our chickens. Actually the dog killed a guinea hen and took a bite out of a chicken's behind. That chicken later died too.

She said the neighbor was cursing a blue streak trying to get his dog to stop and drop the chicken (he was walking the dog without a leash past our house when the dog took off running away from him). Apparently he did a lot of looking around to make sure he wasn't seen once he finally grabbed the dog (after the mauling was done).

Well he and the dog were actually seen doing the crime and my friendly neighbor let me know about it, figuring we'd be wondering what happen to our flock while we were out.

We did wonder and the girls were bummed when the injured chicken didn't survive her injuries.

But I didn't report that incident to Animal Control because I hadn't seen it myself and I think there should be a first-hand accounting of events for me to call (although Fino begs to differ and I'm deferring to him to handle future incidents).

This morning though, having the dog barking at me in my own driveway while walking to my car and then watching the dog take off chasing one of my chickens, I got angry and finally made the call.

Animal Control said it's time for a monetary fine for this irresponsible dog owner (I've been resistant in the past because honestly, I really do just want to get along). But the officer said that in the past AC used to mandate the dog be moved to another location but found that the people just got another dog and the old problems ensued anew. But when things start to hit the purse strings, well the officer said, that gets people's attention, and usually a turnaround in compliance with the law.

So I ask again, why do I have to be the bad guy and cause financial hardship on my neighbor? I really resent that his poor decisions have put me in this unpleasant situation for both of us.

So I stomped my feet this morning like an indignant 5-year-old.

But I'm going to move on now. And wait and see how many times the Animal Control officer has to visit the neighbor before he mans-up and actually answers his door when the officer knocks...

No comments: