Monday, August 31, 2009

Expanding horizons at Funtown, Go Pirates

I took G., L. and her buddy A. to Funtown last week. My kids are not big fans of amusement parks (rides nor crowds) but after our trip last year, they were at least familiar with some of the rides and cautiously anticipating another visit.

A. likes rides and she helped my girls work their way up from the Tea Cups to the Sea Dragon. G. liked the Cars, Tea Cups, Trapeze and Tilt-a-Whirl but generally took a pass on most other rides.


It's been years since I've been on a roller coaster (mostly because I too don't care for the crowds) but I decided on this trip I was going to go on the Wild Mouse.

I went on by myself while the girls were in line for the Tilt-a-Whirl (in visual range of the Wild Mouse) and had a ball. L. asked me a few questions about my ride and then decided she wanted to try it.

I took advantage of her agreeable mood and got back in line (luckily, it was a quiet day at the park, overcast skies kept the crowds at bay and made for an enjoyable experience for us with only a few minutes waiting in line for the rides). L. and I rode the Wild Mouse with much screaming and laughing and that was all it took - one ride - for L. to get hooked. We rode the Wild Mouse about half a dozen times before the other girls dragged us away to explore the rest of the park.


When we walked by Excalibur, I suggested L. try the big coaster with me. G. and A. were certain that did not sound like a good idea but L. decided to take the plunge. The picture the park took of us going down the first big hill was of L. ducking and me laughing (although L. did laugh and enjoy the rest of the ride).



L. decided Excalibur was a once-per-visit sort of thing and once her teeth stopped chattering afterward (from fear or relief, I'm not sure she even knew) she said that the next time we visited the park, she definitely wanted to go on the giant coaster again. She liked the ride but she just wasn't sure she could do that first big drop again.

So she suggested we go back for another couple of rounds on the Wild Mouse.

After L. touted the Wild Mouse's fun-factor over and over again, I asked G. if she'd like to try it. I received a very definitive, "No!" (No surprise as she still talks about, "that scary log ride I will NEVER ride again!" - and once more I was reminded of how different my children are).

The girls did spend a bit of time in Splashtown even though it was kind of cold (amazing how fast cold temps set in this year). And even though L. and A. don't want the summer to end, Splashtown had them talking about the upcoming Pirates hockey season (the team's home-opener is Oct. 10) and making sure both sets of their parents knew they wanted to go to the games together again this year (they like sitting together in the stands and acting crazy).

Go Pirates!


No comments: