Friday, July 17, 2009

Apple doesn't fall far from tree with lists

I'm a fan of 'to do' lists and notes. I've usually got multiple lists going at once - work to be done at the office, grocery shopping, household chores and whatever else needs doing. Sometimes I write my lists in a notebook, or on a scrap of paper and sometimes on a post-it note.

Early on in my marriage I tried to induct Fino in to my list writing - and following - world but that was met with much resistance. So I adapted to making a list (for him that I keep in my notebook) and reminding him about things verbally, a little bit at a time. Not an ideal situation for either of our natural preferences but an OK compromise we have both lived with for more than 16 years of our married life.

But I have found the girls respond well to lists when chores and school work need to be done. I write a handful of things I want them to do in the morning and ask that it be completed by dinner time. That way the girls have some level of control over when they get their work done.

I am also very specific with the tasks I ask them to do. Instead of "clean the bathroom" I will list "wash the bathroom sink and counter," "shake out the bathroom rugs," "scrub the inside of the toilet," "wash the tub and faucets," etc. That way they have the satisfaction of crossing each item off with a more immediate sense of accomplishment and each smaller task on the list doesn't seem so overwhelming to them (and I ensure I cover the bases as to what I consider the tasks required to consider a bathroom "clean").

This list-making thing works pretty well but I'll admit we have our days of "I forgot" or "I don't want to do that!" So just like every other family, the actual completion of the chores is up to the moods of the household on any given day.

And although I encourage G. especially to write lists to remind herself of her own schoolwork she needs to do (part of her ADD challenges is her short-term memory issues), L. is the one who is wired for making lists.

This morning I woke up to see this on L.'s door.

 (8053_Lorgainzer_580.jpg)
Apparently she felt the need to remind herself that the notebook of her artwork she's been taking home from camp every day was left with her teacher yesterday. And the smiley face (which I often include in my own notes to her and her sister) she has on this note to herself made me laugh.

No comments: