Friday, March 23, 2007

Kids, paper airplanes and backseat driving

Yesterday the kids and their friends were learning about aerospace and made several paper airplanes to learn the theories of flight.

The kids had fun but I admit that I chickened out with taking the crew (there were 7 of them) outside. It was way too slushy and muddy to deal with 2-3 airplanes per kid when they had varying degrees of throwing accuracy and tolerance for mud. I think it was ultimately a good call for my sanity.

Anyway, I took some photos and videos of them working on the project and when I sat down to make a quick video for YouTube, I was given some unsolicited advice from G.

"Mom, that song is not good," she told me looking over my shoulder when I was experimenting with music for the photos (she's not a fan of U2 or other "rock" music).

"Yeah, Mrs. Almeida, that one isn't very good," her friend A. replied.

So we did some searching through our iTunes music list and G. chose a song from "Lilo and Stitch."

"That's a much better song Mom."

(She also offered her thoughts on my choice of transitions between photos which were "kinda boring" so she suggested an alternative for that as well. Stars were "a lot more fun.")

But what her chosen song has to do with paper airplanes is unclear to me yet A. approved of her choice so ultimately I was out-voted. 

When A.'s mom saw the video she gave a puzzled look and then said, that it "sort of grows on you after a while."

This is what 21st century kids are like now ... computer back-seat drivers.

No comments: