Sunday, March 11, 2007

It was a good game despite the outcome

As I headed out the door with Grandpa to go to last night's Pirates game, L. was still in tears. She couldn't go to the big game against the Hershey Bears because she had a Snow White performance. I left her with assurances that we have tickets to 3 more games before the end of the season but she didn't care. THIS was the big game of the season as far as she was concerned (although she didn't give up chocolate this time).

And even though they didn't win, it was quite a game. The fans for both teams were really enthusiastic. Actually, I don't think I've ever seen so many visiting fans as I did last night. There were Bears shirts everywhere I turned.

Since I didn't have L. with me I decided to talk to one of the Bears fans (which I NEVER could have gotten away with if she was there) while I was walking through the stands taking photos for Seen Team. I found out there were 6 bus loads of Bears fans that came north for the game and that there were lots of other "local" fans in attendance too. I took pictures of some of the visiting fans simply because they had a lot of fun paraphernalia.

And I have to mention this because there has been much discussion about it at our house this season -- Neil Diamond's "Sweet Caroline" song. I have talked previously about me thinking it's a weird choice to play at a hockey game. But this season we haven't heard it and that got L. thinking recently that maybe that was why the team isn't winning any of the games we attend (the last win we saw at the Civic Center was back on Dec. 18). She's serious about her superstitions.

But last night that song came on and Grandpa and I had a good chuckle. I told L. when I got home that although they played it, the team still didn't win. She wasn't willing to give up her theory just yet though. She still thought maybe she'd have to go to the next game and hear the song to make sure that wasn't the reason the team hasn't won lately.

 The team did play well last night during the second and third periods (well, in my new'ish-to-hockey humble opinion). And Caron made some great saves in the goal. There wasn't a fan in the stands on either side of the rink that wasn't cheering on their favorite team. It was definitely one loud night at the Civic Center.

As I mentioned, Seen Team will be at a few more games this season so if you see us taking pictures in the stands come over and say hello. We're always looking for an enthusiastic fan for our "Fan of the Night" picture on the scoreboard!

Seen Team at the Pirates:
Friday, March 23Sun., April 1Sun., April 15

[Update: video of kids' reaction to songs at hockey game shot last season]

Sweet Caroline
It's a sleepy song, not a hockey song -- well, at least that's how it seems to the kids.


YMCA
They think this one is a whole lot more fun.


What do you think?

No comments: