Sunday, June 25, 2006

Puffin love

The kids trade postcards with other kids all over the world through Yahoo Groups. They love buying postcards and their favorite ones have puffins on them.

When they first started trading (more than a year ago), we did a little research to find some fun "facts" about Maine to write on the back of the postcards. We came across the Puffin Project and the kids learned a lot from that website (and the movie clips are a big hit with them). Needless to say, there are quite a few kids around the world who have learned a fact or two about Puffins because of my kids' fascination with the little birds.

So after I read today's story about the new Puffin Visitor Center in Rockland, I asked the girls if they'd like to check it out. Of course they'd rather see the birds in person but agreed with me that the center sounded fun.

"But someday we have to see a real Puffin," G. told me.

Well, there are puffin watch cruises that run through mid-August. I think this may be the summer we find time to make that trip.

No comments: