Tuesday, June 13, 2006

'Hoot' really was one

We were listening to the audio book "Hoot" in the car last week and I have to recommend it based on the humor factor, not to mention its worthy environmental message to kids.

The adult characters in the book, for the most part, are depicted as being dimwitted, which of course the kids thought was great. But at one point, we had to shut off the CD player because we were laughing so hard. The reason: a chicken reference.

As the story goes, the main characters - kids - are trying to save these little burrowing owls from being buried alive on a construction site. The kids talk with the foreman on the project about the owls then see one fly by right in front of them and burrow into the ground. The kids point it out to prove their point but the foreman says, no, there aren't any burrowing owls around. Those things flying around are "wild chickens!"

You gotta read the book - and a little of my blog - to really appreciate why this was so funny to us.

And then yesterday afternoon we were weeding the garden and collecting eggs while the chickens were taking their "dirt baths." They do this all the time but when I looked more closely, I noticed a bunch of holes in the ground. I asked the kids what was going on.

"The chickens dig holes for their baths mommy. You didn't know that?" G. asked.

"Yeah, kinda like the owls from 'Hoot' only the holes aren't so deep," said L.


No, I never noticed that our chickens dig holes in the back yard.

Maybe I should re-read "Oh, the Places You'll Go!" because this place - and the things I've learned here - is like no place I ever imagined I'd be today.

Of course I wouldn't trade it for the world. I mean, you never know when this weird bit of information might come in handy.

No comments: