Monday, January 24, 2011

XC skiing at Five Fields Farm... with friends

A visit to the hilly terrain of Five Fields has had such great reviews from my kids that my co-worker Shannon and her friend Jill decided to do a meet-up with us in Bridgton to give the trails a whirl for themselves.

Shannon's Trial and Error column in the Sunday Telegram mentioned our adventure at Five Fields. It was full of silly laughs and I was reminded yet again how much fun it is to have a variety of friends who are up for a day on the trails with us.


When the kids were little I found it a little stressful to be uncertain about what to expect at a place. You can read some words that describe it but there's nothing like a map and some pictures to really put all the pieces together. So I take along my GPS unit when I can (i.e., remember it) to record a track of places we visit. I enjoy making these maps because I hope it gives others a sense of the terrain with a topo map and general scenery with a few of our pictures.

Five Fields is a ton of fun for intermediate skiers.

(You can read a full review of this trail system from my column last year...)

XC Skiing at Five Fields Farm at EveryTrail


If you're really down on this snowy weather we've been having, I'd highly suggest finding a winter sport to try. And get another family to join you. Family adventures are always more fun with a couple of friends in tow... for everyone in the group. It also ensures the winter flies by!

L. with her knee skiing... again

Not to be outdone (because she couldn't get on her knees like L.), Shannon pulled her own little trick out... a leg lift.

Another year, another snow pig drawing from L.

No comments: