Friday, January 21, 2011

The woes of female footwear and a shoe fairy

I ran across one of my old blog posts from 2007 that made me laugh today. It's been a long time since I thought about L.'s shoe fairy. And now that she's 13, I can confirm she still has a serious affinity for shoes and the footwear aisle is still her favorite one to browse at the store. Some things are just part of you from Day One.

These days I'm most appreciative of L.'s refrain from throwing a temper tantrum in the store when she leaves without new shoes. Although varying degrees of whining for a new pair of (usually impractical) shoes is still sometimes heard before leaving a store.

I'm sure others have a few fictious friends for the toddlers/preschoolers in their life to help them through the day. I'm nostalgic for these days when a special fairy could swoop in for a mom assist. Teens are a little more hip to my more creative mothering tales.

Oh and now that G. is 14, I can confirm that her feet have not grown since she was in 6th grade/11 years old. It's nice to be at the end of the ever-growing footwear dilemma for her even if it means she steals my shoes/sport footwear sometimes.

***********************************************
Originally posted Friday, September 14, 2007

This week was all about footwear at the Almeida homestead. Not the "wouldn't it be nice to buy those shoes" week. Oh no. Our week would fall in to the "Whaddaya mean they don't fit anymore?"

So like most parents of fast-growing kids, I am going broke buying footwear for my 11-year-old's various activities that include tap and ballet shoes.

The hard-to-face reality of the situation for me is that my 11-year-old, G., is wearing my size shoe now -- that'd be a women's size 11.

I know that sounds a little scary but I think she will likely surpass my 6-feet stature in just a few short years. G.'s about 5'4" tall now so I'm pretty confident her body will eventually catch up to her feet.

The good news of the week was that G.'s dance teacher told her that girl's feet typically stop growing around 6th grade. She's been in the dance shoe business for several decades so I'm counting on this being the last year we have to replace shoes before she wears them out (actually I don't think she's ever worn out a pair in her entire life).

But sadly, G.'s shoe size now requires special ordering for dance shoes and that means waiting a week or more before she can get them.

The every day shoes are slightly easier to find *if* we can locate shoes that meet her criteria.

"They have to be comfortable and feel right."
"They can't look like boy shoes."
"They can't make my feet look too big."

And mine.
"That's not appropriate for an 11-year-old."

The sad thing is that this is only September. The jump in shoe size will break the family budget again before December when we have to track down boots for both downhill and cross country skiing as well as snow boots and ice skates.

Of course, she could *borrow* some of my gear but then I can't do the activities with her. Although I suppose I could use Fino's ski stuff since he's the same size too... I know, it's all a little weird.

My slower-growing 9-year-old is not happy with me at the moment because her shoes still fit so I'm not buying her any new ones.

L. loves new shoes.

When L. was little I would go out of my way to avoid the shoe section of every store I visited with her. On the rare occasions I forgot, my little L. would pitch a fit to bring the house (or store) down if she didn't get a new pair of shoes that very minute. It was the throwing herself of the ground and sobbing kind of display. I didn't give in to her demands very often but sometimes I took the easy, cowardly way out and got the darn shoes she couldn't live without.

And this started before she could walk.

I'm not exaggerating (family and friends who know L., feel free to chime in to confirm this).

I decided when L. was about 18-months old to tell her about the Shoe Fairy who would only bring good little girls shoes. This particular Shoe Fairy did not like it when little girls pitched fits at the store.

The Shoe Fairy did visit L. periodically for a number of years and although the temper tantrums have waned, the whining and badgering for a new pair of shoes hasn't.

I know parents of boys have additional expenses in the footwear department between growing feet and shoes wearing out more quickly. But girl footwear has it's own special challenges.

I'm needing a Calgon moment about shoes right now.
 


***************************************************

No comments: