Monday, January 26, 2009

Dog sledding, a mushing good time for kids

My kids are hooked on dog sledding after their experience at the Musher's Bowl in Bridgton this past weekend.

Our day at the Musher's Bowl started out watching the dog sledding racing at Five Fields Farm. The excited racing dogs barking definitely made us think that this sport had a unique draw. You could feel the dog's enthusiasm and need to simply get running and racing ... now!

I'm not 100% clear on how dog sledding races are typically organized, if a single start for each team on a timed clock is standard or not, but that's how the race was run at Five Fields. After watching about 15 teams get rolling at the starting gate (we had a great spot about 25 yards from the gate), the kids began to recognize the difference in the speed of teams.

All the sled teams got a running start out of the gate when the whistle blew (well the announcer said, "Go") but there were a few stand-out teams that went from zero to a hundred mph in a matter of seconds (yes, an exaggeration but those teams did fly by us remarkably fast).


"Oh mom, we have to get some dogs to do this! This is so awesome! Wow mom, I love this!"

This exclaimed by G. -- my animal lover with three cats, a flock of poultry and cares for two cows at a local farm -- as we drove to Highland Lake, another venue for dog sledding we visited during the Musher's Bowl.

I signed the girls up the previous week for a dog sledding ride at Highland Lake. I thought a good compromise to G.'s request (more of a begging actually) to go to the Can-Am races in Fort Kent. Since the Can-Am is in March and we do not have a 4-wheel drive car, it's unlikely we're getting there at that time of year until we buy a new car (we were lucky our little Saturn wagon managed the snow and roads of Fort Kent at all last December ... well actually, it didn't handle it so well and that was just the beginning of the snow season up there).

One of the arguments G. had used as a reason we <I>had</I> to go to the Can-Am races was "that's <I>all</I> I want for my birthday."  Then finally accepting the fact that it was not going to happen this year, G. suggested that a dog sled ride at the Musher's Bowl could be her birthday present "for this year."

So I paid the not-so-cheap fee (but cheaper than typical) for a 1/2 hour dog sled ride with her sister on Highland Lake.

In honor of the day, L. brought along the Husky stuffed animal she picked up in Fort Kent and wore her puppy paws ear warmer we made.

G. really wanted to "drive" so the sled leader started her out on the back of the sled while L. sat in the front. It takes a fast running start to get the dogs and sled started and G. jumped two feet on to one side of the dog sled's runner/foot board in a lickety-split second with her leader. I think this was easier than it usually is for newbies thanks to G.'s cross country skiing experiences in balance control.

G. said that one of the best parts of dog sledding was "running with the dogs."

After the ride, the sled leader told me, somewhat sheepishly, that my girls loved their ride and wanted to do it again and wanted to know where they could do this "all the time." She said my girls were more than enthralled by every aspect of their dog sledding experience and asked some great, detailed questions about the sport (not to mention made sure to remember every dog's name - all 6 of them - on their team).

G.'s other favorite part of dog sledding, aside from the running start, was "the cold wind in your face."

OK, when I hear my kid say that running with dogs and cold wind in her face are her favorite parts of an activity, I know, I mean I know, I am in trouble with this kid.

And dog sledding, it's a very, very expensive sport (a 1/2 day trail ride typically runs $120/<B>per person</b>).

G.'s solution (a no-brainer to anyone that knows her) is to simply, "buy our own dog!"

"Mom, the sled leader asked me what I liked to do. I told her we cross country ski, we bike, we hike and we do lots of stuff outside. She said a Husky would be good for us. That a Husky would like to live with us because Huskys like to do all the same stuff we like to do."

I'm standing firm on the dog-free household but L.'s on board with the "get a Husky" idea too. And being double-teamed by the girls does not bode well for our up-until-now peaceful no dog household. L.'s a darn good lawyer-type and I know G. would love, cherish and take care of a dog so I'm sure L. will explore, and exploit, every argument angle.  

The deciding factor will likely be Fino (who has stood firm on a dog-free life at home right now but could be swayed since his career is animal-related and he does like dogs).

For the time being however, the girls are satisfied that they are going to a dog sledding class with the Girls Scouts in February.

How great is dog sledding? I'll let the girls fill you in...

No comments: