Thursday, August 28, 2008

Letting go of the little things

Sometimes I make a suggestion to one of the girls and it leads to an argument, which often times has nothing to do with the original suggestion. A few times recently we've had words over the smallest things (hello puberty) so I have found myself choosing to keep my mouth shut and let some stuff go.

But in the spirit of full disclosure, sometimes it isn't worth the argument because the girls go out of their way to prove me wrong. I think that falls under the heading of "life purpose" at our house lately.

For instance there is L. and her stuffed animal (mostly WebKinz) fetish. She has to have a synthetic stuffed friend everywhere we go, even when it will be a hindrance - like hiking the Appalachian Trail to the Bald Pate Lean-to (with Table Rock detour) we visited last weekend. I would not recommend hiking up a very large mountain (6 miles round trip with a 1,700-foot elevation gain) carrying a stuffed animal in your hand but L. has proven it is possible. She also took the time after this particular hike to let me know how much her stuffed animal "loved it."

And G., who always has to wear soft and comfortable clothes, is in a fleece skirt phase (one that's going on its third year). Again, I would not recommend hiking very large mountains in a fleece skirt in the summer (or wearing any kind of fleece in 80+ degree weather). But G. has proven that it is possible to be both comfortable and competent hiking a mountain in a skirt. (Note to moms of kids with sensory integration issues: Clothing choices can make interesting fashion statements in the tween years.)

And to share a "tip" from L., who proved her dad wrong recently when he strongly suggested she wear lightweight pants on a hiking trail to keep from getting bug bites (and ticks), that wearing capris tucked in to knee socks is the only way to go.

"I wore my capris so if I got hot I could roll them up and roll my knee socks down. But if the bugs got crazy I could cover my legs up quick."

On that trail L. was quite a fashion statement but I can't fault the practical application. She managed to avoid poison ivy at Blueberry Mountain and I did not.

OK, so Fino suggested I wear pants on that trail too but I blew him off. I guess I have some life purpose left in me too when it comes to my spouse.

Almeida fashion

And no outdoor adventure is complete without one of L.'s friends.

A hot and sweaty L. at the Bald Pate Lean-to on the AT with 'Hiking Kitty.'

No comments: