Thursday, September 20, 2007

"Girl" hockey

This year Standish Recreation started a new field hockey recreation program. It's basically an intro program for the sport for girls in grades 2-5 that only requires one afternoon per week commitment to participate. L. has been asking me to find a place for her to learn and play the game ever since USM's Girl Sports day back in February so I signed her up.

It turned out that the program needed volunteers so I offered to help with the caveat that I knew absolutely nothing about the game. That turned out to be OK so I'm learning right along with the kids from Bonnie Brown-Denico, USM's field hockey coach who is running the program.




L. is always one for saying what's on her mind. My favorite quote of the day from her was:

"You can't slap-shoot the field hockey ball like the Pirates. Did you know that mom? I like this girl hockey game a lot better for me to play."

L. went on and on about how much she liked field hockey in the car after her first practice. Then she wanted to know when the Pirates had their first game because she was really excited about the new season starting since she's involved in 'hockey' now.

Turns out their first pre-season home game is just around the corner - Saturday, September 29.

I guess I have to stop by and pick up tickets this weekend!

No comments: