Thursday, July 14, 2005

Talking maps today in the car

My family is involved in a group that exchanges Flat Stanleys. He's a character from a book that travels through the mail to meet new people. It's been a great geography lesson for the kids to map out where each Flat Stanley we host is from and where he's been. And the whole family has had fun taking goofy pictures with the flat friends too.


L.'s Flat Stanley in Deering Oaks Park

We just received a new flat friend from Texas and opened the envelope in the car. L. was trying to figure out where Texas actually was. We didn't have a US map at the time so I was trying to describe it. I'm not sure which clue I offered prompted her to remember (bottom of the US map, it's big, it's between New Mexico and Louisiana) but suddenly she remembered.

Ooooh mommy I know now. It's the state shaped like underwear!

OK, hadn't thought about it that way but I guess there's a couple of leg holes there.

No comments: