Friday, September 3, 2010

A stick in the mud, swine style

L. invited her city-dwelling cousins in to the pig pen during their visit to our house last week. They live just north of NYC where manicured lawns, in-ground pools and malls are in abundance. Livestock is not.

I encouraged all the girls to grab a pair of rubber boots before going in the pen because there are a couple of deep holes the pigs dug (they are industrious snout diggers) that are filled with water. It's been such a hot summer that the mud baths have been a much needed cool down for our swine friends (unlike last year when the pen looked more like an overflowing lake) even though it's a challenge for L. to stay mud-free during feeding time.

Whenever we have visitors, L. usually warns them that the pigs (into the 200-pound range now) are both friendly AND messy. Piggy kisses are cute but if you're not prepared for it (i.e., wear old clothes), you're not going to be happy with the mud stains shaped liked a snout once you leave.

The city cousins were timid at first but after a few minutes and some pig management by L. (i.e., an extra grain snack), everyone started feeling comfortable and posed for a picture prompted by G.


But the plan went awry when cousin S., a 10-year-old spunky spirit, got a little silly and asked L. to pull her out of the mud because she thought her boot was stuck.



Much hilarity ensued and as G. had her camera, she was able to document the whole thing. Once I saw these pictures, I told G. they were some of her best. I think she really captured the surprise and expression of the moment on her cousin's face.



As I viewed the series of photos G. took I could almost see the wheels turning in my spunky buddy's head...


When in Rome (pig pen), do as the Romans (pigs) do.


I found out about this incident after-the-fact when S. presented herself to me while I was in the garden on the other side of the yard.

I called for a hosing down - in the yard - as the first step. The second was a full strip down and shower in the bathroom.

The girls laughed about this incident for the rest of their visit.

I think when our NYC cousins go back to school next week and are asked what they did on their summer vacation, they're likely to have one of the more entertaining tales. I can only imagine hearing S. in her animated style explaining how she took a mud bath with some pigs in Maine...

No comments: