Monday, March 24, 2008

Maple sugaring season treats

One redeeming quality about early spring is maple sugar season. We love maple syrup and candy and make a point not to miss Maine Maple Sunday, even when it's on Easter (like it was three years ago) and even when two members of our family (G. and Fino) have the flu and another (L.) is just getting over it. G.'s request (made from the couch since she couldn't come): Cotton candy Lollipop Fino: Plain ol' syrup Grandpa (although he wasn't sick, he prefers me to do his shopping): Maple fudge L.: Cotton candy Lollipop Me: Maple leaf candy I love the smell of boiling sap but was grateful that this year's line to the sugar house didn't require me to stand outside for more than 10 minutes. I think a lot of people were busy with Easter dinner and therefore made my quicker-than-usual stop at the farm easy. 080324maplehouse_580.jpgIn previous years we've waited more than 30 minutes to make our way inside. L. dug in to her maple cotton candy after finishing her free ice cream w/syrup. All this was of course before our Easter dinner but I understood her enthusiasm. 080324cottoncandy_580.jpg I had some ice cream and cotton candy before dinner too. We didn't pick up any maple butter this year even though we like it because we opted for more cotton candy and lollipops. I also debated about purchasing the ketchup bottle of syrup because it just didn't seem right for maple syrup. But the advantage of taking that container from the fridge to the microwave to warm was appealing enough for me to get over the packaging this year. 080324mapletreats_580.jpgWe had already eaten a bag of cotton candy and a lollipop before this picture was taken ;-) What are your favorite maple sugar treats?

No comments: