Friday, January 20, 2006

Almeida family on the rocks

January 2006 in Maine = NO SNOW.

That meant I had to come up with a new idea for my column this month because snow boarding on ice and packed "snow" (really just bumpy ice) isn't my idea of a good time.

After some discussion the family decided to try out an indoor rock climbing gym instead.

L. showed no fear about climbing at the gym. G. was a little more timid but thoughtful about where she put her hands and feet on the wall. Definitely her mother's daughter.

rockclimb1_blog.jpg

rockclimb2_blog.jpg

My climb up the wall with Fino as my belayer (rock climbing talk for the person who takes care of the climber's rope and makes sure it's secure and not slack) was a little nerve-racking. And I should note here, I've always been a bit nervous about heights.


rockblimb3_blog.jpg

After several quick grabs for the wall when my rope went loose, I decided the couple of climbs I did were plenty for my 6-foot tall, not-so-thin body. And it was a conscious decision to stop climbing to save my marriage to a wonderful (but not a terribly talented belayer) husband. I left Fino to belay for L. And G. and I paired together, which G. seemed grateful for.


bunnyontherock_blog.jpg
And of course we got a little goofy with Bunny, who climbed to the top of the wall a couple of times.

monkeypants_blog.jpg
It turned out L. wore her monkey pants in honor of the activity. She's always thinking, that kid...

No comments: